AsianForum.co.uk - Asian Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General
 Computer Problems
 how to block popups

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: Underline

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)]
Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(]
Approve [^]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rani Posted - 23 Mar 2004 : 20:29:07
ok i need some help i use aol right and my popup control is on aol blocker but thats not the problem. thing is the microsoft internet explorer comes out of nowhere and popups keep coming out of no wheree and it causes the pc to freeze sometimes its just too much . any ideas on how to stop this? help me . i use windoes m e . so helf filisss

ThE BeAuTy Of LiFe DoEs NoT DePeNd On HoW hApPy U r, BuT oN hOw HaPpY OtHeRs CaN b BeCaUsE oF YoU
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BengaLTiger Posted - 14 Apr 2004 : 13:33:01
You dont need to be running any other foreign tools in the background to stop these pop-ups. Read my last post on this matter, and you wont have the need of downloading any other tools. Learn to administer your own pc, or at least try, and you wont need to download all those extra pop-up stoppers.

//////////////// [BengalTiger ] ////////////////

http://www.Banglachat.net
http://www.Bdchat.com
silentsinner Posted - 13 Apr 2004 : 21:14:43

End of topic .. enough said !! Itz time to do smthin
Insomniac Posted - 13 Apr 2004 : 20:59:00
Pop-Up Stopper Professional is good, I use it and it works good for me.
silentsinner Posted - 13 Apr 2004 : 20:54:12

Get Ad-aware ... it'z a spyware , very useful. It'll help to get rid of all the junk pop-ups n ads in yur pc !!
maxi Posted - 04 Apr 2004 : 14:38:30
If money is not a problem for you then go for Norton Internet Security.
You'll underestand all the options over there.

Or

If you want the free stuff then go to Www.Download.com , in the search area type popup block u'll find many softwares which are free and free to try...
Naughty Paki Posted - 03 Apr 2004 : 11:44:54
Hey Rani there is only one simplest way to stop ur popups that u can open (TOOLS) on the top and then goto internet options and then click on (PRIVACY)and set the level its better if u keep the level medium.

******CATCH ME IF U CAN******
BengaLTiger Posted - 26 Mar 2004 : 12:48:57
Kita reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee .... londons finest lol are you an asianforum virgin like me 2 bruv ... seen seen lol
london-finest Posted - 26 Mar 2004 : 01:16:49
actually i just use norton internet security and that does teh job perfectly heheh darky bro
Rani Posted - 26 Mar 2004 : 01:16:17
Yes Sir

ThE BeAuTy Of LiFe DoEs NoT DePeNd On HoW hApPy U r, BuT oN hOw HaPpY OtHeRs CaN b BeCaUsE oF YoU
BengaLTiger Posted - 26 Mar 2004 : 00:01:10
If you dont get this setup and working by tonight rani, you will be deemed unsuitable to use your computer until furthur notice.

:)
Rani Posted - 25 Mar 2004 : 23:28:45
lol dark no i dont know anyone working in sandwell housing office but just for u ill keep an eye out or ask around . dark admin sky thank u all for ur advice ill try them all out hopefully should work :D

BengaLTiger Posted - 25 Mar 2004 : 23:18:04
oOOoO i love this bit :)

Hint Hint Rani :)

Xp users:

Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Services
Double click Messenger

Now change startup type from automatic if this option is set already to Manual or disabled both of which should stop incoming pop-up messages leave it how it is, or change it to both of these .. MANUAL OR DISABLED :)

now restart the damn service thingy and ... Walla no more of those piss takeing popups ...

One more thing, and take note you XP users and 2003 or WIN2K, it would be a good idea to disable Messenger service altogether reason being peeps, there are various exploits floating around numerous underground hacking sites and security forums in the form of a remote messenger exploit. Basically what happens is someone sends some crap to your pc in the form of a pop-up, confuseing your system thus turning your pc into a zombie for the offender to use and abuse :(

Not nice is it ? Nooo i didn't think so. And if you need any furthur assistance send a cheque payable to me at this address. The address to send it to will be given sometime soon :) first i need to find an empty apartment to operate from and conduct my freelance work to the less fortunate. Rani sis do u know anyone in sandwell houseing who could sort me out? get back to me on this one sis :) .. Ahh good old rani u can always count on her ... bless da gyal.

>:)

admin Posted - 24 Mar 2004 : 01:09:24
these are instructions for windows XP - but most of it applies to Windows ME-

depends on the type of pop-ups you're getting and their content.

If you get simple pop-up with just text inside them then one solution is the one asadudin gave u. That stops messenger pop-ups.

To stop other pop-ups such as the ones that look like browser windows you can download the Google toolbar from google.com

You may also be receiving pop-ups because of spyware in that case you need to download AdAware from www.lavasoftusa.com

Download the standard free version and install, check for updates and then run the scan and remove all the spyware.

Make sure you also have virus scanning software on your pc, even some types of viruses advertise pop-ups.

Another way of stopping messenger (NOT MSN Messenger) pop-ups is by enabling or installing a firewall.

If you are using windows XP click Start>Control Panel>Network Conections>Right click your connection>Click advanced and enable firewall.

So summary-

Enable firewall to stop messenger pop-ups
Run virus scanning software to remove and protect from viruses
Run AdAware to remove spyware
Install Google Toolbar to stop web site pop-ups

And jobs a good-un!

"Still thinking of a signature!"
TwiceAsNice Posted - 23 Mar 2004 : 23:58:40
yup, i agree with sky. google is one of the better popup blockers out there. i use it as well and blocks those damn annoying spam ads.
SKY Posted - 23 Mar 2004 : 23:31:30
Don't use the AOL pop up blocker. Just stick to IE with some third party pop up blockers like google, which appears to be the best one. Screw AOL. Use that for only emails. And screw MSN. what a load of horsecrap.

dp

AsianForum.co.uk - Asian Forum © Asian Forum
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000